Friday, August 24, 2012

EAE Start!

So after spending an entire week in grad school for game development I think I can safely say we have hit the ground running.  Game Project 1 requires us to rapidly prototype a game every four weeks using a different set of developer tools each time.  This week it's a framework called Moai that I'm pretty sure was chosen only because Tim Schafer endorses it.  Ironically, every single thing I have read about Moai suggests you only use their software if you are not a beginner to game development and if you have time to get over its steep learning.  Naturally, we are all beginners and have less than four weeks to learn and prototype a game, but whatever, this is how CS has always been.  Sink or swim, if we put in the hours we should have something reasonable come week four.

The other two classes seem a bit more manageable.  While I have no doubt Game Engineering 1 is about to get real, it is starting off quite slow, which is much appreciated.  The third class should be a lot of fun, seems like a lot of game design theory and stuff like that.

On another note, this is the first time, aside from on the internet, that I've been completely surrounded by people that know as much about video games as I do... if not more.  It should be a fun couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment