Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week 6, Still Better with Kinect!

So we got the prototype well underway.  It's pretty much FarmVille with Kinect, or at least that's what it seems like.  I've never played any of the Ville's because I didn't do my summer homework for this program.  Well, that's not entirely true, I had already played a large chunk of the games on requirement list and knew about their developers history and what not because that's just the kind of nerd I am.

Anyway, I have decided to amend my statement about Kinect's ease of use.  It's very easy to get something up and running quickly, but it's rather difficult to get it to work well.  Right now we have both Kinect and Mouse input, so we do most of the testing with the mouse, but the Kinect more or less works under fairly ideal conditions.  Whatever, it's a prototype, and the proof of concept is there.  This game is probably more entertaining than whatever physical therapy these guys were originally going to be doing.  I can guarantee you it is more fun than the physical therapy I was doing a couple weeks back for my shattered arm so we can quote me as a satisfied customer when we make up the box art for this thing.

All the non Kinect oriented development has been very straightforward, which is good, because Borderlands 2 came out a bit ago and there be phat lootz to find.  Honestly, there isn't all that much interesting to say about the prototyping process this week.

The engineering class is taking off however, we're learning how to cache align our custom classes this week by overriding the new and delete keywords.  I knew a bit about cache aligning before, but I had no idea you could override the new keyword in C++.  Hell, you can even globally override it for your entire application.  This freaking language seriously gives you too much power, no wonder game designers like it, but holy balls is it a catastrophe of a language.  At least Visual C++ seems a little more coherent.

No comments:

Post a Comment