Monday, January 21, 2013

Vinyl is a go!

So the professors revealed last week that they won't be choosing our games, but we will.  There were a few stipulations, but basically the teams must be a minimum size of 5 and max of 12.  After that, pretty much anything goes.

I was incredibly impressed by the sheer number of students in our program pitching and the overall quality of most of them.  As you can gather from this title, my game was one of the few chosen to be made, but during the pitches I kept thinking I'd be happy to work on almost any of the games pitched.  Nothing is official until tomorrow, but it looks like the three games will be prototyped over the next few weeks.

Cellblock is an asynchronous game about a hacker trapped in a prison cell being rescued by a solider.  The soldier player will play through an FPS style game, working his way toward the hacker, while the hacker helps him fight through the prison remotely by disabling security cameras and what not.

The next game has no name yet, but focuses on physics based combat and/or platforming.  I helped work on a prototype for the basis of this game last semester and I'm really excited it got picked.  Cody, the lead on the project further refined the design and pitched a very compelling idea that could become a a fun combat game or perhaps a platformer, or maybe even some combination of the two.

Vinyl, was my game which I described last week.  I can't wait to get started on the prototype, I've always wanted to make a music game and this will be a great opportunity with a very talented group of engineers.  The current plan is to prototype in Unity, and then decide on which engine we want to really build it with sometime in February.  Unity would be ideal for deploying to multiple platforms, but I'm not a huge fan of the lack of flexibility the engine offers.  It's great to get something up and running fast, it seems pretty terrible to get anything very specific working at all.  We will see I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment