Sunday, April 7, 2013

Montreal!

Woo, busiest month of my life is now over.  I get to relax by catching up on the last 3 weeks of homework I had to neglect because of the Ubisoft competition and GDC... and flying to Baltimore for a day for an interview.

The Ubisoft competition was cool though, there were some ridiculously good looking prototypes there.  Guess that's what happens when your team of 8 has 6 artists instead of 1.  That said, we probably had cooler mechanics than any of them, or at least more complex, because we were so programmer heavy.  We definitely had more gameplay features.  We find out on Thursday who won what things and who will get the internship.  Also, it turns out I don't understand french so I had a hard time following most of the presentations.

Montreal seems like a cool city, or at least the 3 blocks of it we got to see.  Alcohol flows more freely there than in Utah at the very least.  Though alcohol flows more freely everywhere than in Utah.

Even if we don't win though, this competition was a pretty awesome experience.  It was interesting doing an even bigger prototype than we'd ever done in class, in a new and not even remotely user friendly engine, while simultaneously going to work and school, with a bigger team that usual to boot.  I may have bit off a bit more than I could comfortably chew this semester, and I can chew a ton, but it was definitely doable and I still got some skiing in.  Makes me happy knowing that next year will probably be substantially easier than this one, cause I'm pretty burnt out.  It's gonna be nice to get paid during crunch time rather than paying tuition to be in crunch time.

Anyways, not much more to say, at least not more than I'm willing to say. ;)  I think this experience will help when making Vinyl next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment